1st telephone switchboard
the first telephone switchboard for the town of Jacksonville was inside this home located on Mulberry street
Nicholas and Mary Jackson
Our town was named after this family because of his help in getting the railroad through Jacksonville,
Crippled Childrens Hospital
This Hospital was located in one of the old Arkansas Ordnance Plant building, later it was moved to what is now the Children's Hospital in Little Rock
Harpole Merchantile Store located on North First St in Jacksonville Ar. This building still stands today its located inside our Historical District.
Jeff Ramsey's Merchantile
In the 1800's Jeff Ramsey was on of the early pioneers who had a merchantile store here in Gray township now known as Jacksonville.
E.C. Stone Merchatile
This was owned and operated by Peter W. Dupree's father in Law E.C. Stone, another early pioneer, when he retired P.W. Dupree took over the merchantile store and made it a thriving business.
First Modern Hotel for Jacksonville
Caption of this article tells it all.
Samson Gray Stagecoach Stop
Samson Gray had th only early stage coach stop and mail carrier service in the early days of Gray Township named for his family. Today it is called Jacksonville after Nicholas Jackson.
The town of Jacksonville was named after him.
This is a caption of our Train Depot, it was believed to be built in 1872.
Original Town Jail
Located at 408 East Center St. opened in 1943,built by P.W. Dupree for the town, it had 2 cells, 2 beds and a wood-burning stove in the front, closed in 1952.
Third Post Office
Opened in 1959, after the one on N. First closed because it was too small, this later became the towns newspaper ran by James Canfield, Salvation Army, Suzy Q's.
Dr. Charles "Alec" Hudson had this doctors office and pharmacy, where he made his own medicine for his patience, located between 112 N. 1st and 116 N 1st. Currently a vacant Lot, he practiced here for 43 years
Harpole's Confectionary and Bus Station
this started out as a confectionary store, but soon turned into the towns bus depot, and also a favorite hangout for the towns people.
Douglass Service Station
Located on the corner of W. Main and N.1st street, was torn down to make way for the Bridge.
Original Train Depot
Located at 408 E. Center street, built by P.W. Dupree and leased to the city, opened in 1943, with 2 cells, a wood-buring stove. it closed in 1952.
Callie Harpole's Home
Located on N. 2nd street, Callie Harpole worked at the Harpole's Confectionary Store and Bus Station.
Jacksonville Police and Courts
Located at 109 S. 2nd Street, its the second jail that the city built.
Third Post Office of Jacksonville
Third Post office for Jacksonville, the second one was located on N. 1st street, and the first on was located inside a Mercantile Store.
Built in 1927, and owned and ran by the family of Squire Harpole.
Town Map 1906